Brass instruments are highly regarded for their ability to deliver rich and brilliant sounds. One of these instruments which has managed to make its name in the music arena is the pocket trumpet.
This versatile and highly celebrated musical instrument is highly praised for its delivery of quality sounds and notes in a variety of musical compositions, such as orchestral pieces, marching band songs and, of course, highly spirited soulful jazz.
The history of the pocket trumpet dates to the 1800s, when they were used by military troops as communication devices before the introduction of wireless communications. These instruments were very large and bulky, making them very difficult to carry, especially for marching solders.
Somewhere in the 1850s, civilized people of the time opted to shrink these instruments to make them more compact and easier to carry. It was during this time that the first ever miniaturized version of the trumpet was created and named the pocket cornet.
However, one drawback with the pocket cornet is that it didn’t have any valves. It was, therefore, just used for practice since it couldn’t deliver quality sounds.
Eventually, more trumpet makers joined the league and could create a considerably smaller version of the trumpet, which closely resembled the original brass instrument.
The bell and mouthpiece were the same size as the normal trumpet and it had three valves enabling it to deliver brilliant and high quality sounds without any compromise. This replica of the normal trumpet was named the pocket trumpet.
How to choose a pocket trumpet
In the market today, there are lots of brands as well as types of pocket trumpets to choose from. This makes it very difficult for amateur as well as professional trumpeters to choose the best trumpets for their needs. There are lots of different factors customers need to consider when choosing the perfect trumpet to suit them. These factors include: the brand, the features, the finish, the category of the trumpet as well as the accessories. To make it easier for you, we will explain some of these factors briefly.
The category—there are three categories of pocket trumpet,namely: student, intermediate and professional. Student pocket trumpets are made from durable and long lasting materials.
They perform very well but lack some quality features found in more expensive trumpets. Intermediate pocket trumpets are made from silver plating and are manufactured from less expensive materials.
They bridge the gap between student and professional trumpets. Lastly, the professional pocket trumpets are designed with very expensive craftsmanship and come with brilliant features mostly found in normal trumpets.
Trumpet brand—something else customers must consider when choosing a pocket trumpet is the brand of trumpet you’re intending to buy. Among the best brands available in the market are: Jupiter, Carol and Kanstul.
The accessories—when choosing the right pocket trumpet for your needs, you should check the accessories available in the package. Since most professional trumpeters must travel long distances to perform, they need a trumpet that comes with a case, a cleaning cloth and at least a pair of gloves.
What to look out for in a pocket trumpet
After choosing the right pocket trumpet which suits all your preferences, the next possible action is to check the features and the specs available and try to figure out whether they’re perfect for you or not.
Most people make this mistake, whereby they purchase a product without considering whether the features correspond with what it’s intended to do. In this section, we will enlighten you on what you need to look out for in a perfect pocket trumpet.
The valves—the first thing you need to look at in a pocket trumpet is the valves. Valves are made of different metals depending with the category of the trumpet. Pocket trumpets intended for students have valves made from nickel. This is because nickel is hard, sturdy and doesn’t require frequent cleaning. Such trumpets are very easy to use. Intermediate trumpets on the other hand are made from Monel alloy which is comfortable but very corrosive. Finally, we have professional trumpets which are either made of Monel or stainless steel.
Outer finish—pocket trumpets are designed with different outer finishes such as brass, silver or gold. Pocket trumpets designed for students or beginners are mostly made from brass while those intended for intermediate trumpeters are made of silver. Finally, those pocket trumpets designed for professionals are made of gold and are more expensive.
The mouth pipe—the mouth pipe is a tube that connects the mouth piece with the main tubing. Depending on the category of the trumpet, mouth pipes can be either red brass, yellow brass or sterling silver. Red brass requires less maintenance and is mostly found in student trumpets while yellow brass requires frequent polishing and is therefore found in intermediate and professional trumpets.
Bell—something else you need to look out for in a pocket trumpet is the metal used to mold the bell. Red brass and rose brass are common materials and are mostly used to design student and intermediate bells. On the other hand, silver is not so common and is therefore used to design pricey bells. Something else you need to check when purchasing a quality trumpet is how the bell is molded. Student pocket trumpets or rather cheaper instruments often come with two-piece welded bells. On the other hand, professional trumpets are designed with a one-piece bell, making it perfect for jazz and orchestral performances.
|Mendini MPT-N Nickel Plated B Flat Pocket Trumpet||3.7/5|
|Merano B Flat Black Pocket Trumpet||3.2/5|
|Sky Band Approved Gold Plated Brass B Flat Pocket Trumpet||4.1/5|
|Merano Brass Pocket Trumpet||4/5|
|Merano WD480SV-A B Flat Nickel Pocket Trumpet||3.5/5|
|New Brass Pocket Trumpet||4/5|
|Hawk Nickel Plated Pocket Trumpet||4.5/5|
|Allora MXPT-5801 BK Pocket Trumpet||4.8/5|
|BlackHawk Pocket Trumpet Carol Brass||4.3/5|
|Roy Benson RBPT101G BB Pocket Trumpet||5/5|
Review of the best pocket trumpets
Now that we’ve covered on some of the most crucial areas you need to observe when purchasing a pocket trumpet, we will review some of the best pocket trumpets in the market.
Mendini MPT-N Nickel Plated B Flat Pocket Trumpet
The Mendini MPT-N Nickel Pocket Trumpet is one of the best trumpets that makes learning music more fun and entertaining. This trumpet is ideal for beginners and student trumpeters who are aspiring to become professional jazz or orchestral entertainers. Available in a compressed and compact design, this pocket trumpet is light and very easy to store.
One of the selling features with this trumpet is the mix of different solid metals on its various parts: while the outer casing is polished nickel, the mouth pipe is made of phosphorus copper. The inlaid keys are very soft while the action valves are smooth and capable of delivering brilliant sounds.
According to most instructors, the Mendini MPT-N Nickel Pocket Trumpet is the perfect choice for beginners as it doesn’t require a lot of maintenance.
The manufacturer has included a number of key accessories in the package, such as a pair of white gloves, a cleaning cloth and a carrying case.
Features of the Mendini MPT-N Nickel B Flat Pocket Trumpet
- Solid design—one of the selling features of this pocket trumpet is the materials used. While the outer shell is polished nickel, the mouth pipe is crafted with phosphorus copper to make it durable and perfect.
- Compact design—since this is a pocket trumpet, the manufacturer has compressed the size of this trumpet making it smaller and sleeker. With just a weight of 8 pounds and dimensions of 12×10×6 inches, students and amateur trumpeters can easily play this instrument without hassle.
- Additional accessories—as one of the best manufacturers of quality musical products, Mendini have included several key accessories in the package to make it more professional. Customers are now able to access free gloves, a stand, a cleaning cloth, a bottle of valve oil and a carrying case.
Advantages of Mendini MPT-N Nickel B Flat Pocket Trumpet
- This pocket trumpet is available in a variety of colors which include: black, blue, gold and nickel.
- The manufacturer has offered customers a limited one-year warranty on any defects identified with the instrument.
- Most customers have really praised the price of this trumpet stating that it’s highly affordable.
- This trumpet is sleek, light and very comfortable to play.
Things to be aware of
- Some customers have really complained about the valves, stating that they often stick, even after being oiled.
- This pocket trumpet is very small making it difficult to hold properly when playing.
- Some customers have complained about the outer finish, stating that it smells like turpentine.
There has been a heated debate on whether the Mendini MPT-N Nickel Pocket Trumpet is perfect for jazz and orchestral settings or not. The truth is that, this pocket trumpet is what most students and professional trumpeters really need to accomplish their needs in the music arena.
Although some customers have complained about the stuffy valves, the fact that this trumpet can perform its intended purpose perfectly well makes it the best in the market.
Merano B Flat Black Pocket Trumpet with Case+Mouth Piece;Valve oil;A Pair of Gloves;Soft Cleaning Cloth
The Merano B Flat Pocket Trumpet is among the best small trumpets on the market. Designed with a weight of just 3.8 pounds and sleek dimensions of 12×9.5×5.9 inches, this trumpet is perfect for starters and students in the trumpeting arena as they’re gentle and easy to play.
In addition to that, the Merano B Flat Pocket Trumpet is ascetically pleasing, beautifully designed and has the capacity to deliver outstanding sounds enough to rock a jazz or orchestral live performance.
The black outer finish and the nickel mouthpiece are other smart features which add to the overall beauty of this pocket trumpet.
Features of the Merano B Flat Pocket Trumpet
- Black outer finish—the Merano B Flat Pocket Trumpet is beautifully polished with a black lacquer that contributes to its overall beauty.
- Nickel plated mouthpiece—similar to most other high quality trumpets, the Merano B Flat Pocket Trumpet is designed with a nickel plated mouthpiece and pistons that allow sound to flow through smoothly.
- Compact design—designed as a replica of normal trumpets, the Merano B Flat Pocket Trumpet has a light weight of just 3.8 pounds and sleek dimensions of 12×9.5×5.9 inches.
Advantages of Merano B Flat Pocket Trumpet
- This trumpet is very easy to play and, according to most customers, it delivers decent tones.
- The black lacquer,combined with nickel on the mouthpiece and pistons, makes this trumpet stylish and colorful.
- According to most customers, this trumpet is very cheap and affordable for most buyers.
- The manufacturer has included some essential accessories such as: a pair of gloves, a cleaning cloth, a carrying case and a bottle of valve oil.
Things to be aware of
- This trumpet doesn’t allow air to flow through perfectly.
- Most customers have stated that the trumpet doesn’t deliver perfect notes, making it ideal for students but not professionals.
All in all, the Merano B Flat Pocket Trumpet is the best small trumpet designed for armatures and student trumpeters. This trumpet is small, light and capable of delivering quality sounds when played.
Having gained a 3.3/5 star rating from 4 customers, this pocket trumpet has a lot to offer and can also be played during a jazz or orchestral setting.
Sky Band Approved Gold Plated Brass B Flat Pocket Trumpet
The Sky Band Approved Gold Plated Pocket Trumpet is another high quality musical instrument in the class of small trumpets. This instrument is capable of delivering quality sounds, thanks to its outstanding engineering.
Sky Band is one of the best manufacturers of quality trumpets used by both students and professionals. Customers are offered a wide range of colors from blue, black, purple, gold, green, silver, red and pink.
The golden trumpet is the one preferred by professions performing in jazz bands and orchestras, as it’s capable of delivering high-quality smooth sounds and notes.
This trumpet comes with additional accessories, such as a hard shell case, a polishing cloth and a bottle of valve oil. In addition to that, the manufacturer has offered customers a one-year limited warranty in case the trumpet develops a defect.
Features of the Sky Band Approved Gold Plated Pocket Trumpet
- Quality design—this pocket trumpet is beautifully designed and well-engineered. According to most customers, the trumpet has the capacity to deliver rounded sounds with a smooth air flow.
- A quality outer shell—this trumpet features a phosphorus copper outer shell that’s mostly found on professional trumpets. This makes this pocket trumpet perfect for both students and professional trumpeters.
- Additional accessories—the manufacturer has managed to offer customers additional accessories to make the trumpet easy and enjoyable to play, including: a pair of white gloves, a bottle of valve oil, a cleaning cloth and a hard shell carrying case.
Advantages of the Sky Band Approved Gold Plated Pocket Trumpet
- This trumpet is very pretty as compared to most other small trumpets.
- The quality of sound delivered by this trumpet is just outstanding.
- The trumpet is available in a variety of different colors, giving customers a wide range to choose from.
- Most customers have really praised the price of this trumpet, stating that it’s very affordable.
Things to be aware of
- Some customers have complained about the valves, stating that they’re very stiff.
- Other customers have criticized the quality of this trumpet stating that it’s not all that perfect.
Finally, there are a lot of benefits which customers have found with the Sky Band Approved Gold Plates Pocket Trumpet. Apart from its outstanding mix of colors, this trumpet delivers a high quality soft sound which is highly captivating.
Having gained a 4.1/5 star rating from 10 customers, the Sky Band Approved Gold Plates Pocket Trumpet is the best choice for amateurs, students and professional trumpeters.
Brass Pocket Trumpet
The Brass Pocket Trumpet is one of the best musical instruments on the market today. Despite its small size, this trumpet has a large horn and a compact mouthpiece that replicates the normal trumpet. When it comes to the quality of sound, this small trumpet delivers smooth, rich sounds and notes making it hard to distinguish it from a large trumpet.
The Brass Pocket Trumpet is designed with a brass outer finish and a yellow brass mouthpiece, that makes it perfect for jazz and orchestral performances.
Available in a light weight of just 3.6 pounds and dimensions of 10.9×8.7×5.5 inches, this small trumpet has rapidly made its name among the world’s finest pocket trumpets.
Features of the Brass Pocket Trumpet
- Lacquered brass finish—the Brass Pocket Trumpet is designed with a solid and stylish brass outer finish that adds to the overall beauty of the instrument.
- Compact design—similar to all pocket trumpets, the Brass Pocket Trumpet is available in a light weight of 3.6 pounds and dimensions of 10.9×8.7×5.5 inches. This makes the trumpet extremely easy to play.
- Additional accessories—apart from just delivering quality sounds, the Brass Pocket Trumpet comes with a number of smart accessories,including a pair of white gloves, a bottle of valve oil and a carrying case.
Advantages of the Brass Pocket Trumpet
- This trumpet is extremely easy to play,making it perfect for kids and amateur trumpeters.
- Most customers have praised the brass outer finish, stating that it contributes to the instrument’s overall beauty.
- This trumpet is very cheap yet, it offers similar features to more expensive, normal trumpets.
- This trumpet is very easy to handle and requires less maintenance.
Things to be aware of
- Some customers have stated that some crucial parts in this trumpet are made of cheap plastic.
- Sometimes the valves become stiff, making it hard for the trumpet to deliver smooth tones.
All in all, let me conclude by saying that the Brass Pocket Trumpet is among the best small trumpets on the market. Designed with a brass outer finish and a nickel plated mouthpiece, this instrument has the capacity to deliver smooth and high-quality sounds with just a little effort.
Having gained a 4.0/5 star rating from 9 customers, the Brass Pocket Trumpet is the perfect solution for students and aspiring trumpeters who look forward to making their name in the music industry.
Merano WD480SV-A B Flat Nickel Pocket Trumpet with Case and Mouth Piece, Silver
The Merano WD480SV-A B Flat Pocket Trumpet is another outstanding musical instrument that’s designed for those aspiring trumpeters in the jazz and orchestral arenas.
Available in a silver outer finish, this small trumpet is widely recognized for its ability to deliver smooth tones and sounds with just a little effort. The mouthpiece, the valves, the bell and the pistons are all similar to normal trumpets making it perfect for professional trumpeters as well.
The Merano WD480SV-A B Flat Pocket Trumpet comes with additional accessories,including a pair of gloves, a yellow cleaning cloth, a bottle of valve oil and a hard shell carrying case. This pocket trumpet has a weight of 4 pounds and dimensions of 13×10×6 inches.
Features of the Merano WD480SV-A B Flat Pocket Trumpet
- Silver finish—while gold is the best finish and mostly found in the more expensive trumpets, silver is the second best and is mostly found in professional and student trumpets. According to most customers, silver plated pocket trumpets usually perform much better than brass trumpets.
- Additional accessories—this pocket trumpet is available with additional accessories which include: a pair of gloves, a cleaning cloth, a bottle of valve oil and a velvet carrying case.
- A compact design—unlike most other trumpets in the market, the Merano WD480SV-A B Flat Pocket Trumpet is very light (4 pounds) and comes with sleek dimensions of 13×10×6 inches.
Advantages of the Merano WD480SV-A B Flat Pocket Trumpet
- This trumpet is perfect and plays well, just like normal trumpets.
- The outer silver finish makes this trumpet stylish and very durable.
- This trumpet is very light and compact, making it perfect for students and young kids who enjoy trumpeting.
- The price of this trumpet is relatively cheaper and affordable to most customers.
Things to be aware of
- The mouthpiece is made of plastic meaning you have to replace it with a metal one for perfect results.
- The keys tend to stick, making it hard to deliver smooth and quality notes.
The Merano WD480SV-A B Flat Pocket Trumpet performs well as compared to most other small trumpets in the market.
However, some customers have really complained about some parts such as the sticky keys and the plastic mouthpiece, stating that they need to be upgraded. Aside from that, this pocket trumpet is designed with a silver polish which is incredibly perfect.
Having received a 3.7/5 star rating from 6 customers, the Merano WD480SV-A B Flat Pocket Trumpet has been approved by most instructors as the perfect choice for students and amateur trumpeters.